Friday 27 November 2015

Hello all

The National Gallery of Singapore has opened. Should be good. Haven't been there yet but from those who have been attending the Saturday previews before the opening have given me good feedback.

But with the opening festivities and the full house, I think I will make my way there after the 6th of December 2015. Thinking of doing a painting/work of the month feature to spice up the blog. Now with NGS and their permanent galleries, I think I could do that as I have a wider array of pieces to choose from and hopefuly will stay up much longer for you to be able to catch the piece in the flesh, as compared to those in the commercial galleries which at most hangs for 6 - 8 weeks. But it might be boring, and I am unsure what to discuss; the visual aesthetics/visual perception of the piece or the usual curatorial spew of the artist and where the piece lies in history. Never mind we'll cross the bridge when we get to it.

Anyway to support NGS without having to be a patron or give money is to sign up as a member. From now till 31st March 2016, it will be only $20 cf $30 for an individual membership or $40 cf $60 for a joint membership. Family membership is also available for 2 adults + 3 under 12s for $50 instead of $85.

However if you do have spare cash, donations start at $2k to become a friend up to $100k to get into the 'Chairman's Circle'.

Too bad the Singapore Art Museum doesn't have a membership, unless I am wrong. But they do have a way to give money, but not as structured as the NGS where you have levels of 'Friendship' with the NGS. SAM just says that donations are crucial and helpful, maybe they are not good at marketing the 'luxury trap' and the corelation of Fine art with wealth and social status and being cultured. Not to sound too bitter/ sour grapes or anything but I am a believer of art for all. And I really hate the luxury trap. But then again, they might be following the American museums where the museum really has to court patrons to stay afloat and also rent out concession places (the main money earner). Hmmm, but NGS is a state owned entity with a healthy budget, having said that I guess it subsidises my free admission to the museum. LOL.(free for Singaporeans and PRs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment